What is Nowruz or Navroz Festival-Parsi New Year Festival 2017?
Historical Significance of Nowruz or Navroz Festival-Parsi New Year Festival 2017?
“Change is the only constant in life,” said Heraclitus, the great Greek Philosopher. But why do we need change in life? This is to bring ‘novelty’ which can be invigorating. It also paves the way for inspiration. It can even shape the life of an entire dynasty or a race. Do you know what the Parsi populations in India is? Today they are the largest minority community, not only in India but also in the world. Nevertheless, they celebrate one of the most vibrant festivals in the world that began more than 3000 years back. It came from a mighty emperor who introduced the new calendar in Persia. His name was Jamshed. And this grand celebration is known as Nowruz or Navroz Festival or Jamshed Navroz Festival to mark the beginning of a new era. It was the golden era in the history of ancient Persia, where people were skilled in the sciences, arts and crafts, medicine, wine, and agriculture.
About Nowruz or Navroz Festival 2017 or Jamshed Navroz Festival:
“Nowruz” has been rechristened as “Navroz” celebration (‘Nav’ means New, ‘Roz’ means day). It means “genesis”- a new beginning or a New Day in the Iranian New Year which, in India, is celebrated as the Parsi New Year. It marks the first day of the first month in the Parsi New Year Festival. This festival is also known as Jamshed Navroz Festival.
Jamshed Navroz Festival, the Parsi New Year Festival, found its origin in Iranian (national) and Zoroastrian (religious) culture and has been celebrated by people predominantly in the Middle-east, USA and the South Asian countries such as India and Pakistan. Fire, fragrance, friendship play an important role in the Navroz celebration-Parsi New Year celebrations. People in these countries observe Jamshed Navroz Festival with full devotion and energy to welcome health, productivity, wealth, and prosperity.
Astrological Significance of Nowruz or Jamshed Navroz Festival:
Navroz celebration has an important astrological background. As per the major reforms of the Persian Calendar, Iranian philosopher and scientist Tusi officially declared Jamshed Navroz Festival as “the first day of the Persian Calendar on which the Sun leaves the constellation of Pisces and enters Aries before noon”.
Nowruz or Navroz Festival 2017:
20th March 2017, Monday
Nowruz or Navroz Celebration 2017- Parsi New Year Celebration 2017 Rituals:
Even though highly westernized in lifestyles, Parsis always stick to their rituals during Nowruz or Navroz celebration through the four auspicious elements of fire, fragrance, friendship, and food.
- Go to the nearest Fire Temple or Parsi Agiary on the day of Nowruz or Navroz celebration or Jamshed Navroz Festival.
- Cover your head while praying inside the temple. You should put on a black velvet caps. Tell your children in your family to put on caps of gold or silver brocade.
- Watch the priest performing “Jashan”- a thanksgiving prayer.
- Offer sandalwood to the Holy Fire.
- Now, it’s the time to wish each person by saying “Sal Mubarak”- during the holy Nowruz or Jamshed Navroz Festival or Navroz celebration- Parsi New Year Festival.
- You should purify the air, and thereby your soul, which is extremely important on the auspicious day of Nowruz or Navroz Celebration or Jamshed Navroz Festival-Parsi New Year Celebration. Follow the most common rituals.
- Wake up early in the morning
- Take a pious aromatic bath in rose water.
- It’s time to wear new clothes.
- Do not forget to put on perfume.
- Decorate your home with flowers of red rose and jasmine. Naturally scented rose induces a positive aura in the room and looks bright and extremely auspicious for Nowruz or Navroz celebration or Jamshed Navroz Festival.
- Decorate every nook and corner of your home with bright powders.
- Light incense sticks.
- Now, sprinkle sandalwood powder in the living space.
- Get a silver tray ready with roses, coconuts, and vermilion.
- Spray rosewater freely on every guest entering your home.
- Prepare rangoli for Nowruz or Jamshed Navroz celebration or Jamshed Navroz Festival that consists of fish and floral motifs on the main doorstep with vibrant hues such as red, pink, purple, orange and yellow to strengthen the aura of Sun. It will boost your energy and confidence.
- The most important thing you notice in Nowruz or Navroz celebration or Jamshed Navroz Festival-Parsi New Year Celebrations is the free meeting of men and women from across the Parsi community that hold a symbol of equality.
- Get your family members reunited on the auspicious day of Nowruz or Navroz celebration or Jamshed Navroz Festival – Parsi New Year celebration.
- Welcome your relatives, neighbours, friends, colleagues for a get-together at your home.
- Hug each other and say “Sal Mubarak”.
- Exchange beautifully decorated gifts, food packets, clothes.
- Nowruz or Jamshed Navroz Celebration Festival 2017- Parsi New Year Festival is the most memorable day in the life of the Parsi communities. So, have fun, play, and laugh a lot.
Food plays a very important role in Nowruz or Navroz celebration- Parsi New Year celebration. Parsi food is one of the healthiest and the most protein-friendly cuisines in India and it is the blend of Middle-East and Indian especially Gujarati cuisine. Since Nowruz or Jamshed Navroz Festival is based on the term “novelty”, food too is prepared in new ways.
Breakfast on Nowruz or Navroz Celebration- Parsi New Year Celebration 2017:
- Make some unique Parsi delicacies for breakfast on Nowruz.
- Serve Ravo or Rava made with Suji, milk, and sugar.
- Serve fried vermicelli cooked in sugar syrup and sprinkled with raisins and lot of almond slivers.
- Prepare dry fruits, sweets like Gajjar Halva and a glass of Falooda, a sweet and chilled vermicelli seasoned with rose liquids.
- Lunch on Nowruz or Navroz Festival- Parsi New Year Celebrations 2017:
- Prepare the following typical Parsi scrumptious menu on the fun-filled Nowruz or Jamshed Navroz Celebration Festival- Parsi New Year lunch.
- Plain rice and Moong Dal
- Steamed Pomfret
- Mutton Pulao, rich with nuts and saffron
- Chicken Farcha- Parsi Spicy fried chicken curries
- Caramel Custard
Benefits of Navroz Festival: Ways to bring Luck, Love, and Wealth on Parsi New Year Festival 2017
- Always believe in equality and fair principles-good thoughts, good words and good deeds and try to serve the needy people. On this auspicious Nowruz or Jamshed Navroz Celebration, every Parsi or Zoroastrian is believed to possess the sacred principle of Fravashi.
- Since the day and the night will become equal on March 20, 2017, Monday, maintaining a harmonious relationship is a must on Nowruz or Navroz Celebration- Parsi New Year Festivals. Therefore, it’s important to share dried fruits, nuts and grains that signify good balance of abundance and limitation during Nowruz or Navroz celebration
- Nowruz or Navroz Celebration turns more colorful and gorgeous with ‘Gathas’, the mythical platform. Light scented candles, take a ceramic plate with sprouted wheat or beans, small bowl with a silver coin, flowers, painted eggs (for productivity), sweets and rosewater (for sweetness in relationships) and also a goldfish in a bowl. This set of arrangement is believed, during Nowruz or Navroz Celebration, to bring prosperity, wealth, productivity and happiness.
Nowruz or Navroz Celebration-Parsi New Year Festival signifies the seven elements of a happy life:
- Number Seven (#7) is a sacred number for the Parsi community during Nowruz or Navroz Celebration as it signifies seven elements of happy life. You can decorate your home or simply put the following objects on the table to enhance the positive aura of love, relationship, and wealth.
- Enhance Beauty: Keep two apples on the table and eat two apples daily to look young and stay healthy and fit.
- Attract Love: Share and eat dried fruit of lotus tree (senjid) to attract love on the auspicious occasion of Nowruz or Navroz celebration.
- Always be Positive and Welcome Good over evil: If negative thoughts keep haunting you, eat some sumac berries (somagh) to stay positive during Nowruz or Navroz celebration
- Build a Good Health: You can keep a bunch of garlic cloves on the table or in your pocket to stay safe and secure. You can chew a piece of garlic anytime to boost your health and hygiene.
- Keep Patience: If you or anybody in your family is always mentally disturbed, cook meals using vinegar (serka) during Nowruz or Navroz celebration.
- Believe in Rebirth: It is believed in Persian text that if you eat sabzi including wheat, barley or lentil, you will be having a rebirth because of the auspicious Nowruz or Navroz celebration
- Enjoy Wealth: Enjoy a proportionate mixture (samanu) to enjoy a balanced life due to the positive effects of Nowruz or Navroz celebration.
- Prepare fish motifs in the Nowruz or Navroz Rangoli to attract luck and prosperity.
- The burning of incense sticks in your room enhances purity and keeps your mind fresh.
- The vibrant red colors of Nowruz or Navroz Rangoli attracts the guests, thereby boosting warmth in the relationships.
- Keep a minted coin to welcome prosperity.
Wish you and your family a Very Happy and Prosperous Parsi New Year.
With Ganesha’s Grace,